Sienna Mae Heath is a storywriter of landscapes, architecture, and gardens. A world traveler with a home base in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, she knows how a strong sense of place sparks meaning in small moments. As The Quarantined Gardener, she is leading the Lehigh Valley to Victory Gardens in 2020. Her work has been published in GreenPrints: The Weeder’s Digest, Gardening Know How, GrowIt Mobile, ArchDaily, OnOffice Magazine, and Architect News. As a perceptive interviewer, Sienna helps makers and artists find their voice.
Content Writer, Architect Marketing Institute, February 2017 – Present
- Led PR campaign for the Von Braun Space Station, securing publication in Dezeen, New York Post, Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, Daily Mail, and 100+ outlets worldwide.
- Started Firm of Her Own blog series to engage and empower a community of female architects.
- Wrote profiles, features, and exclusive Q&As about the Notre Dame Cathedral restoration for Architect News.
Contributing Writer, ArchDaily, September 2019
- Investigated how the first space hotel design could save our planet from the climate crisis in “Sustainability in Space: What California Green Building Standards and the Von Braun Space Station Have in Common.”
Garden Designer, 4/4 Architecture, Bethlehem, PA, December 2019
- Planned an eco-friendly west facing garden for this high-profile space at the city entrance.
Personal Essayist, GreenPrints: The Weeder’s Digest, September 2018
- Published “The Flock” in the Fall 2018 edition.
Guest Blogger, Gardening Know How, July 2017 – Present
- Created blog content on how to grow vegetable seedlings and comparing annual flowers Verbena and Scaevola.
Guest Blogger, GrowIt!, April 2017 – Present
- Featured on Member Spotlight four times, including a mindful tutorial on dehydrating herbs.
Magazine Writer, Onoffice Magazine and Guerrero Howe Custom Media, January 2017 – Present
- London Design Festival coverage “Unite Through Light: New York lighting brand Roll & Hill’s Landscape of Light installation is inspired by the need to create connections” published in OnOffice. (©OnOffice magazine, as featured in OCTOBER 2019, onofficemagazine.com)
- “Health Through Kindness” interview with chief administrative officer of UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital & Women’s Health published in Profile magazine.
- “Tech Culture at Sterling Bay” feature story on the company’s strategies to transform buildings in promising locations published in Sync magazine.
Freelance Writer, Northampton Community College, Northampton NOW, Bethlehem, PA, January 2014 – November 2016
- Reported on the Earth Day presentation by award-winning National Geographic journalist Jon Waterman.
- Quoted 4 activists and 2 community members to create awareness of the intense community conversations surrounding food activism at final event of Food in the Public Square, a nine-month study of the Lehigh Valley’s food supply.
Freelance Reporter, The Express-Times, Easton, PA, January 2012 – March 2016
- Wrote 190+ news and feature stories in AP format, covering the arts and entertainment, health and wellness, sustainability, fashion, culture, literature, education, social media, and start-up businesses.
Guest Writer, The Iranian, July 2009
- Expressed parallels between the 1979 and 2009 revolutions from her perspective as an Iranian immigrant’s daughter.
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Adjunct Professor of English as a Second Language (ESL), Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA, June 2014 – May 2017
Writing and ESL Tutor, Northampton Community College, August 2013 – February 2017
Member, Greater Lehigh Valley Writers Group (GLVWG), October 2016 – Present
Volunteer Book Cataloguer, Jacobsburg Historical Society, summer 2015
Features Writing Intern, The Express-Times, Easton, PA, summer 2012
Broadcast Journalism Intern, WDIY NPR Radio, Bethlehem, PA, summer 2011
Book Buying Intern, Moravian Book Shop, Bethlehem, PA, summer 2011
Editor-in-Chief, The Manuscript, Moravian College, 2009-2011
Editorial/Public Relations Intern, ArtsQuest, Bethlehem, PA, fall 2009
Public Relations Intern, Big Apple Circus, New York City, NY, summer 2009
Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA
Bachelor of Arts in English, 2011
Pennsylvania Teacher Certification (Grades K-6), 2012
- Magna Cum Laude, Sigma Tau Delta, and Honors in English
- Studied abroad at The University of Edinburgh, UK, Spring 2010
- Lebensfeld Prize for Best Short Story, 2009
Attended “Moravian College Writers’ Conference: Writing and Sustainability” (2017) and on “Writing and Healthcare” (2018), Greater Lehigh Valley Writers Group’s “The Write Stuff Writer’s Conference” (2017, 2018, 2019). Accepted to the LVEHC “Geography of Home and Soul” Writing Masterclass with Author Susan Straight and Retreat at the Highlights Foundation, and invited to read at the Easton Book Festival (2019).